Generally general.

Moderator: Mods

rydi
Site Admin

anime

Post by rydi »

so. i am in the mood to watch some good anime. what do i watch. oh, and for anyone interested, here are my suggestions, though likely everyone has seen them all.

iria: zeiram
akira
record of the lodoss war (original)
miyazaki stuff (nausicaa, spirited away, kiki's delivery service, the cat returns, princess mononoke)
memories
millenium actress
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

Thael
Lost Knight

Post by Thael »

iria: zeiram - One of my favorites
akira - my First official anime (not counting what was shown on Sat morn TV)
record of the lodoss war (original) - Really good series, again a Fav
miyazaki stuff (nausicaa, spirited away, kiki's delivery service, the cat returns, princess mononoke) - I like his style in general and enjoy most of his material but some are just to focused on young female interests for me
memories - Not sure if I have seen this or not
millenium actress - I think I saw this, really dull, slow story of a woman driving herself insane.... if it is the one I think it is...
That which is not dead can eternal lie and with strange eons even death may die
My Color is Blue
I value Knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

yuup. thats millenium actress. memories and actress are both dull but good/entertaining.

Avilister
The Mitten King

Re: anime

Post by Avilister »

rydi wrote:so. i am in the mood to watch some good anime. what do i watch. oh, and for anyone interested, here are my suggestions, though likely everyone has seen them all.

iria: zeiram
akira
record of the lodoss war (original)
miyazaki stuff (nausicaa, spirited away, kiki's delivery service, the cat returns, princess mononoke)
memories
millenium actress
I can't remember Iria very well, it's been ages since I've seen it.
Akira is alright, not a favorite of mine.
Record of Lodoss War was one of the first things I ever saw, and thus I don't remember it very well because its been a long, long time.
I'm 50/50 on most Miyazaki stuff, I either like it a bunch or I don't. I also haven't seen a bunch of it (of the ones you listed I haven't seen Kiki's or Cat Returns)
I haven't seen either of the other two, no opinion. If its boring, I don't think I care to see it. :P

Suggestions:
Action: Cowboy Bebop, Hellsing, Black Lagoon
Epic: 12 Kingdoms (Junni Kokuki)
Fantasy: El Hazard, Scrapped Princess, Utawarerumono (my avatar is from this one)
Stupid Funny: Excel Saga, Fullmetal Panic!, Muteki Kanban Musume
Lord of the Flies - IN SPACE: Infinte Ryvius

Any genre preferences? :P
Last edited by Avilister on Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

kiki's and cat are both just sweet, calm, amusing little flicks. i recomend them for unwinding, though i will say they aren't boring, just calm. no death/boom/burn/hate/kill, but stuff still happens.

if you haven't seen lodoss in a while, i recomend a re-watch, as it really is pretty good. it's exactly like watching a better version of a 2nd ed dd game.

i have black lagoon on my netflix. are you on netflix? if anyone is on netflix, they should friend me. i put my link up...

12 kingdoms, princess and el hazard all look like they might be promising. cowboy bebop... i just can't get into the feel. i'd rather go watch sailor moon.

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

I -really- like 12 Kingdoms. Its pretty long, like 48 eps or something, and its broken down into several distinct stories. I just... I really like it. I know a few people that haven't, but its one of my top 5 of all time.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

i guess i'll give it a try then.

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

It has its problems like any series, mostly pacing (some parts are a on the dry side), but overall I really do like it a lot.

Note my edit above - my avatar is from a series called Utawarerumono, which is certainly not a series for everyone, but has a big plot/subplot of conquoring the local area, recruiting hawt girls what fight for you, and has a few explosively violent scenes (such as the one pictured at left).
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

A word of warning about Utawarerumono, as an afterthought - the plot devolves into retarded stupidness at the end, as many anime tend to. Ignore plot for the last 3 or so episodes and its still enjoyable.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

doesn't look like something i would be interested in.

arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

I need to rewatch Record of the Lotus War. Hmm maybe I will sit down and do that after Californication.
psn: aretepolitic
Steam: aretepolitic
durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

The Castle of Cagliostro is one of the best animes I've seen. It's Lupin III, which I always though was funny. I believe Steven Spielberg called this movie one of the best action films of all time. It's good stuff.

Not a fan of most anime. There are some random shows like Ronin Warriors, Reign: The Conqueror (about Alexander the Great), and maybe something else that I love. 80's anime has a neat look to it. I'm still looking for eps of Tranzor Z.
durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

I can't really speak to a lot of full length movie anime, but I know a few really good series that I'd recommend vehemently.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
This was the 'full rendering' of the imagined setting, including many elements that were left out of the feature films due to time constraints. Between the two seasons a profound plot line emerges that I found captivating and powerful.

Monster
This is a really really long series the entirety of which I haven't watched yet. It's about a japanese neurosurgeon working in germany some time after world war two. The first four or five episodes set up the rest of the series, which is something over 40 episodes, I think it's over 60 actually, not sure. It winds up being an interesting hybrid between The Fugitive, House MD, and Sherlock Holmes. They take their time to develop characters and it all winds up more realistic than a sudden turnaround or a montage. Each episode stands on its own to some degree, but the larger framework is fairly necessary.

Samurai Champloo
This was fucking great. The artist pays specific attention to technique among the various fighters, the plot line and presentation are fairly off beat, which I liked a lot. Good fights, neat story, but they seem to complain that they're hungry through almost the whole episode. They do a little of the 'anime face' , where little icons show up next to people's heads, and their mouth grows to five times its size. There's less of that in Monster and GITS:SAC, though there's a little. I find it annoying most of the time. This was great series.

Golden Boy
The story of Paul Gilmore as he travels across japan. Nuff Said.

Urotsukidoji
Yeah, I know, I'm crazy to mention this. The plotline of the series is somewhat interesting, even though over 9000 tentacle rape scenes are included. I like the fact that it's old school hentai, has huge explosions and giant monsters, is a little confusing, but doesn't hold anything back. It's not amazing, just...amusing. Expect to get bloody semen all over you from watching it. The complete series is something like 9 movies. The last ones go off the deep end. I remember there being a dragon chasing a bunch of nuclear missiles while two wizards fight on top of them, meanwhile some goblins rape a girl with a machinegun. Oh, and someone's sister was having sex with a pile of dead bodies which would bring help if pleased...or something like that.

Uhm what else, I liked Ninja Scroll, the Dagger of Kamui, ooh, you might like Wings of Honeiamiesse (sp?). It's about a japanese space program and christianity. It's interesting.
adam
Lost Knight

Post by adam »

/second Samurai Champloo, its good
Out there somewhere there is a Tarrasque eating delicious epic corn waiting to start a journey...