Generally general.

Moderator: Mods

durden
Lost Knight

X-Comics

Post by durden »

So I am liking the new direction. I see continuity in places! Sure, there is no reference to the past, so you are left out if you never read X-Men in the 80's. Oh yell, screw you.

X-Force is surprisingly good. Nemesis and Bastion. And Magus! I was going to use him in the Marvel Game! He was left on the bottom of the ocean. Skrulls were going to awaken him (part of my Secret Invasion story).

Uncanny messed up on one point of history, but is otherwise solid. Scott didn't know what a Celestial was, even though in the X-Force book he met several and even flew around in one of their spaceships (which we were going to use in the Marvel game...).

Cable is meh. Pitting Bishop against Cable makes sense. Both of their stories have been told, so it makes sense to use them as paramilitary timetraveling idealists. The whole Bishop loosing an armor to now match Cable's cyborg arm is a little much, but oh well.

X-Men Legacy is still the single best issue I've read in a while. Good times.

So this discussion only really goes to Cheyne I guess. The rest of you need to read comics.
Thael
Lost Knight

Post by Thael »

the rest of us have enough hobbies to pass the day away as it is... I used to read comics but hated the shortness of issues... granted could read TPB but after spending time on anime, video games, pc games, theater movies, board games, RPG supplies, and of course 8+ hour gaming sessions 2 or more nights a week, time starts to run short... after all work expects me to be awake while I am there so cant combine it with sleep time (which is a waste really)... maybe I will pick them up again when they offer the direct to cortex downloads...
That which is not dead can eternal lie and with strange eons even death may die
My Color is Blue
I value Knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

Well, Marvel is making a move toward cyber-comics. Perhaps that could take up part of your computer time. I agree with issues being to short. Way too damn expensive. Really, you would be better off reading old tpbs of 80's and early 90's stuff. If you haven't read Kingdom Come, ask Cheyne if you can borrow it. It is the pinnacle. It is the perfect comic.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

the supernal, transcendent comic. words cannot describe its heavenly, or perhaps infernal, beauty, nor can they tell of its unearthly grace or ineffable depth and meaning. oh, kingdom come, how i long to join with thee, to live in your glossed pages, fight in your epic battle, even die in your titanic conclusion. would that i could, along with the hope for a brighter future, be born again from wonder woman's blessed womb...
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

Oh, Kitty is dead but Whedon can't write a book on time so we have to wait to see how.
Thael
Lost Knight

Post by Thael »

Well THAT sucks... I actually like Shadowcat... has my favorite superpower
That which is not dead can eternal lie and with strange eons even death may die
My Color is Blue
I value Knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

what the... oh fuck it.

durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

So damn. X-books are great now. Well, Cable is kinda sucking and I can't stand Young X-men, but the other books are awesome. Archangel is back. As well as Magus, Bastion, several other mutant killers that died, old and lovable Gambit, Prof, and good art on top. The move to San Fran and return to continuity makes me feel like what I am reading matters. Like I should pay attention cause it will be referenced in the future.

Other books are good as well. Guardians of the Galaxy is runnin very close to how I wanted the Marvel game to progress. Stationed inside a dead Celestial. Skrull invasion. Warlock. I didn't plan on introducing the Raccoon, but he's a nice touch. Even Incredible Herc is good right now. Athena (very likely a Skrull) has sent a team of gods (which ended up being just five, but from Am Indian, Japanese, Greek, and Eternal mythology) to go combat the SKrull gods, hoping to stop the invasion. It's a trap of course, as the team has sailed into Nightmare's domain. AND! AND they are using footnotes in this book! History! Good times.

Read these things Cheyne and share your love of them with me.
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

I have a fairly large backlog of xcomics waiting for me this weekend. So thanks for the heads up.
psn: aretepolitic
Steam: aretepolitic
durden
Lost Knight

Inferno II

Post by durden »

From Comiclist.com

The fans now have their answer. Titled Inferno II: X-Infernus, Marvel's next major X-storyline will incorporate the return of Illyana to the X-Men Universe. Unlike "Messiah" the Inferno II storyline isn't an actual crossover - it won't cross through various X-books. The result will be something that's smaller than its predecessor while still being important towards the overall X-Men franchise.

The event will kick off in December. It was originally conceived as an Uncanny X-Men Annual with David Finch on art. When Finch moved to Ultimatum, the project was delayed. But editor Nick Lowe thought the story was too important to just be an annual, so the concept was expanded to the next major X-Men story. Finch was kept on covers and the interior artist can't be named just yet.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

that might actually be cool.

durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

Did uhm, you read the first Inferno?? And all the tie-ins? Cause I really don't think it's a story we need to return to. Ever. Oh gods. What if it includes Nightcrawler's "dad." *Shudders*
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

thats true actually.

durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

But X-Men Legacy is glorious.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

god... i love seeing gambit. real gambit. i don't want to sound like a queer or nothin', but i want his cajun ass to make love to me.