In remembrance of all the joy, and misery, of past games. Leave your offerings here.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

huh. i highly disagree. your call though.

but basically, no superhero, ever, has those rules applied. for that matter, no characters with flight that i've seen. using those rules it is pretty much impossible to use str to do anything in space, and it handicaps an already overpriced ability to the point of near uselessness by doubling its cost. str is already 10 per, and how much is flight to equal that? another 10 per level? crazy. especially since they make it almost impossible to get enough actual damage/lift out of just str by itself to be worth anything.

but i'll look at the points and see what i can do. i'm starting to reconsider my idea for a character. i really, really like my story and planet, but supers get screwed by gurps. actually they get screwed by most systems not totally dedicated to them, because magic/psi/cyborging/skills/whatever are always more cost effective to do the same thing.
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

rydi wrote:huh. i highly disagree. your call though.

but basically, no superhero, ever, has those rules applied. for that matter, no characters with flight that i've seen. using those rules it is pretty much impossible to use str to do anything in space, and it handicaps an already overpriced ability to the point of near uselessness by doubling its cost. str is already 10 per, and how much is flight to equal that? another 10 per level? crazy. especially since they make it almost impossible to get enough actual damage/lift out of just str by itself to be worth anything.

but i'll look at the points and see what i can do. i'm starting to reconsider my idea for a character. i really, really like my story and planet, but supers get screwed by gurps. actually they get screwed by most systems not totally dedicated to them, because magic/psi/cyborging/skills/whatever are always more cost effective to do the same thing.
Now, your strength would not be 'useless', just in a zero g environment it would require some help. You could probably circumvent the limitations by accelerating towards your target and then hitting it. In atmo of course, you'd be as normal.

Honestly, I have no problem with an attack that does damage. My only problem is an attack that does damage due to force that does not obey the laws of physics that all other characters are required to follow. I did notice a conspicuous absence of a strength power, and the way you get it is by buying your strength really high. Does that mean that strength alone is not a power? It's hazy. Gurps does not seem very supers friendly though.

WHOA. The workaround is easy. You grab ahold of the ship and then hit it. Done. You have your resistance. you would not be able to hit harder than you can grip. as long as you have purchase on the ship you would be able to grab ahold of it and pound away. So, most ships you should be able to. once in a while, you might find a smooth ship that uses some method of propulsion that does not require exhaust ports, and uses some weapon that does not appear on the surface. The rest of the time, you can probably do it.

that's how they did inertialess combat in Lensman, is the assailant would physically grab his opponent and hit him, so that he didn't just send his target flying.

A shield is still a problem for you. Not all ships will have shields, and the ones that don't may as well lay down arms. I think it would be reasonable to expect you to dodge any point defense fire.

I think with a shield you would have to either do the acceleration trick to breach it, or wait for it to go down. A ship with really heavy shields or multiple layers of shields might pose a big problem for you.

I assume that you also have skills and things, and that flying into ships and pounding on them is not the *only* thing you can do.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

i likely will only be very strong, max humanish. too expensive to do anything else.

but i think i found a solution to the dr quandry, as well as a few other problems. i'll look at it and get back to you.

and yes. not. supers. friendly.

durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

I'll be able to hibernate.
durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

Forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere, but have any of us looked at the Gurps: Prime Directive books? Seems they are a variant of Star Trek. Wikipedia tells me there are 3 books out now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Dire ... ng_game%29
Thael
Lost Knight

Post by Thael »

quick question

are advantage limitations considered disadvantages or merely modifiers on the advantage cost... and if an advantage is actually reduced by more than 100% does it become a disadvantage?
That which is not dead can eternal lie and with strange eons even death may die
My Color is Blue
I value Knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

haven't looked at prime directive, but sounds worth a peek at least.

u should also look at powers for ur magic type stuff.

disads and power disads are different. and u can only discount a power to -80 if I remember correctly.