100%
yes
No votes

Total votes: 6

Rusty
Lost Soul

Game discussion

Post by Rusty »

As of this posting, Chris and Thael are both planning to run online exclusive games here on the boards. I think discussion for additional games should be in one easy to find place. Also, summer game may eventually develop an online component.
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

Can the world of online gaming handle yet another game? or would that be dividing energy and attention? Chris has the initiative by announcing the first exclusive online game to this iteration of the forums. Thael gets the 'me too' badge. Would a 'me three' kill the existing games?
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

no. it wouldn't kill htem. though it would probably slow down each of them. but slow isn't necessarily bad.

and yes, the idea is that the summer game will get more action now that the boards are secure... we should be backing these up btw steven. i don't trust anymore.
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

Well, I have an idea gestating. Honestly, I think 'the more the merrier' applies to gaming on the boards. Especially if its the same group of players for each game. I think it helps to keep games from dying entirely, takes pressure off of GMs to constantly update, and generally makes life more livable.

We are (almost) all really busy with school, so ALL of our online games will progress slowly.

I've been watching the 'who's online' ticker, and it seems that about five of us check the boards on at least a daily basis.

Online games are less prone to the wanton distractions that live games are.

Online games need to be planned for their environment. A GM can do a rather remarkable amount of research between posts, and has vastly more time to consider his plot between posts. This can easily result in more detailed, very well thought out plot and play. The caveat is that you depend on the literary skills of the players, and it is very difficult to put the players in a time crunch. Also, combat takes a lot longer, even with everyone aware of and observing guidelines for gaming online. Such as no 'double posting' in combat, and not describing the results of an attack if a dodge is allowed. If a day or two goes by without someone posting, we still have to wait. Even if we're waiting on a dodge. Unless we make a rule otherwise. (I get emails every time someone posts in certain threads, so I'm not likely to be unaware of whats happening. I would recommend that everyone that is playing on the boards, if they haven't already, arrange to be notified of posts in the specific boards they are in.)

I'm bored. All the time. And instead of trolling 4chan/b/ I'd rather game.

So, in conclusion, I'm planning to run a game on the boards. It may not be the best idea evar, but I think a welcome and constructive diversion is better than 'teh intarwebs'.

I'm working on finding books that I need. I hope not to take away from chris's glory or thael's horror. I'll announce things when I'm more ready. Like what system. In fact, I may summarize character creation rules and post them in a CC thread. I'll decide after consideration before too long whether to announce the genre and game system at some point. I suppose at least genre would help. Though, the idea of having you guys play blind is interesting. in conclusion this:

Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

How does LoKni feel about learning a new game system? or using one that even if you do know it you haven't used it in a while?
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

... {suspicious glare}

like what?

oh, btw, i personally think that all the games we play should be low on the combat/opposed rolls. and if the game will have alot of that, i think the gm should have pc stats and roll for them if posting is delayed by a day or more.

Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

rydi wrote:... {suspicious glare}

like what?

oh, btw, i personally think that all the games we play should be low on the combat/opposed rolls. and if the game will have alot of that, i think the gm should have pc stats and roll for them if posting is delayed by a day or more.
Good idea! In fact...how would people feel about the GM making ALL the rolls? Does that take the fun out of it? and increase the work? yes it does. But we don't game to have fun. We game to not be bored by something else.

Not sure yet what game system. I have several ideas, I'm trying to pick the one that has the most potential and yet requires me to do the least work. Work meaning reading. Thanks to the wild wild web I should be able to find all the books I could possibly desire at little or no cost.

Why? You have any requests to this end? Anything you want to or want not to play?
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

all rolls is good.

dd bad. very bad.

vamp/wod is overdone.

scifi? gerbil? nwod mortals. trinity? abberant? silver age sentinals and superheroes.

Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

So, I wish to announce a new game! I'll start a new thread for it. It *should* be of a different feel than the other on the boards games in development. IE it's not vampire. thael, if you want to discuss the specifics of your game with me, I can make sure we don't wind up too close to each others games. I am going to run a paranormal investigation game under NWOD but NOT in the WoD setting. Your characters may be portable to the Summer Game, but not vice versa, same as with the counter terrorist game I ran. Look for specifics in another thread.
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

Well, this may seem sudden and odd, but...I'm ready to announce a distant yet interesting sci fi game. Play will probably not start in earnest for some time, as it is under a system many of you may not have played, or may not have played in some time. Gurps 4th edition. Perhaps in a couple months I'll be ready for rapid play. As I learn the game system I'll build your first actual thing to do. But meeting each other and building your characters should be fun. You'll see...read on.

The Galactic Federation is the product of millennia of fighting, negotiation, and misunderstandings. After ten thousand years, peace finally broke out. Exploration took the federation to the farthest reaches of space, explorers would not stop searching for new worlds until only blackest space stretched beyond them. A civilization of peace, equality, freedom, and order spread to each of the hundreds of thousands of races within the federation. And yet, the question of what lay beyond the farthest reaches of the explored universe still remained. A signal was sent, in all directions, explaining what the galactic federation was and inviting contact. Thousands of years went by, the signal still echoing into space, until one day, a signal came back. The message was in an unknown language, so the brightest minds of the federation went to work to decrypt it. After years of work, they finally deciphered the language, and were able to relate the message to the eager people and governments of the federation. The message was simple. "Help." But who sent it? And why now? The federation could not wait for answers to these questions. A ship was built, and ambassadors chosen. These few brave souls headed out amidst the fanfare of hope and worry, in the direction the signal originated from, to seek out its senders, and to offer whatever help they could. YOU are those ambassadors.

But which worlds did you come from? What race are you? YOU answer those questions. The galactic federation is a place of infinite variety. Psionics, magic, biotech, cybernetics, ray guns, swords, robots, everything.

The mission to build a character is a simple one, yet also hard. Yet also simple. yet also hard. build ANY character you want. From any kind of place, with any kind of anything. The gurps books are out there, and with the sole exception of books from other settings (such as star wars or vampire the masquerade) make anything you want. Supers...need to be examined, but they're a possibility.

This game will be over the top in nearly every way possible. A sorceror elf fighter pilot dropping nukes on star sponge infantry is totally doable. I'm setting out to tell a space opera. Want to be a zombie mercenary with superpowers? doable. A marine sergeant from earth? lame, but doable.

Know that the infinite variety I'm offering the players during character creation is likely to recur in the things you encounter. Feel free to discuss amongst yourselves, and build a balanced party. The message was "help", our answer is you.

Some players may note a slightly similar overarching theme to starforge. Yes, I AM trying to recreate the circumstances in which we all had epic fun. A forum will be needed eventually.

I will try to link everyone to the "gurps lite" document, which includes what you need to know to play. The rest of the documents are out there, I've found copies of all of them, I'll let people know offline where to find them if they can't. Or feel free to buy them directly from steve jackson games. You might get a significant discount elsewhere.

This game will be:
epic
funny
cool
full of win

We may need to fine tune our character party for a while. You guys can feel free to kill each other, each time you die we thaw out a new character. (If you thaw them all at once, cheyne, then they hang out in the lounge and play magic until someone dies.)

So, lets remember the problems we had with starforge characters, and NOT build a party of scientists and exactly one grunt. You won't have shadowcorps this time. Oh, and to avoid making someone captain....if the ambassadors cannot agree on a course of action, Sign, the ships computer, is instructed to take over for the moment. He will return control as soon as someone gives him a direct order and isn't immediately contramanded.

I think you guys will be TL10. The game allows for up to TL11-12, that seems like you are pretty close, but it's actually a big gap. I need to make sure that TL9 won't do everything we need it to first. Just heads up.
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

Space Opera Players:

In case you get the source books and decide to bang out your characters:

We will be tech level 10 (TL10). That is, the galactic federation will be. Feel free to be from some more primitive tech level. In fact, I'll provide a guide. If you want to build your character as a wizard, you need to predate the discarding of superstition.

Also I think 200 points should be enough for character generation. That will make for a mild super.

Oh, and you will need to spend your money on equipment. I may even have you spend your money on your ship, depends on how much it costs. If you want a fighter ship you'll need to buy that. Your main ship should be 'sacred', in that you really don't want to get it destroyed. You should plan on protecting it. So a secondary ship might be a good plan. Because you have no idea what I'm going to throw at you. Neither do I. There are random charts for every conceivable detail about a system. Oh, and do make sure that your character concepts fit with what is actually possible within the game. Ask me questions. Remark.
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

rydi wrote:we should be backing these up btw steven. i don't trust anymore.
I'll look into it.
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

I may point this out to someone I know of that played Starforge. Who knows, maybe he'd be interested too...
Thael
Lost Knight

Post by Thael »

That which is not dead can eternal lie and with strange eons even death may die
My Color is Blue
I value Knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

i'm in. sounds like a blast actually. but w should see how the games currently on the burner go. and recruit more people to the boards for play.