If you'd like to see a new forum or category, or think there's something we need to change or remove, let us know here and we'll look in to it.

Do you know how to tie a tie?

Windsor, half windsor, four in hand, simple, and albert
71%
I have my girlfriend do it for me
14%
I had someone tie it for me a long time ago and just loosen the knot to take it off
14%
does a clip on count?
No votes
TIE interceptor!
No votes

Total votes: 7

Rusty
Lost Soul

Fashion, impressions, and mens wear

Post by Rusty »

Maybe I'm a dandy, but I do in fact get all hot and bothered over fashion particulars for formal and professional situations. I've even tried to formal up my daily wardrobe a bit.

I'd like to hear from the lost knights about their opinions, practices, and knowledge about fashion. Hopefully the lost knights will forgive me if my interest primarily pertains to mens fashion, as that is what I normally wear.

I generally follow Men's Health, Gentlemen's Quarterly, and Best Life magazines for current classy fashion tips, but these magazines either never directly address the issue, assuming that either you are going to dress in a cool and casual way or that you always wear a suit. Interview prep books emphasize the importance of being properly dressed and prepared, but then again, those are self help books and we all know about those.

edit: wharrgarble fixed
Last edited by Rusty on Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

I can tie a tie good.

Also, I know details about the TIE Interceptor that I will never need.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

i stay mildy abreast of the fashions of the day. however, my finances and my body are nowhere near suited to the nicest fashions, so i settle for what is in my closet and try to make sure the shades of black don't clash too heavily.

i am responsible for some of the better wardrobe choices of my friends however. and i forced people to get some pretty good looking suites for my wedding. oh, and i'm good at finding inexpensive but good looking alternatives to designer clothing, something much more difficult for men's clothing than women's.

but, sadly, despite efforts to learn, ties thwart all my attempts to master them. I just leave the knot in.
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

as far as 'relatively' affordable suits are concerned, I've gone with the stafford collection from JC Penney's for some time now. I went with a 600 dollar suit, the stafford executive, with a good deal to bring it down to that price, for my medical school interviews. It is important though, to note that a proper job of tailoring can make a person with almost any shape of body look good, or at least look formal.

I agree though, men's suit knockoffs are almost universally bad.

I have to admit, I found the George collection at wal-mart to be fairly ok, with nothing all that special but nothing really bad either. I've received compliments a number of times on George collection garments, keeping secret that it was from wal-mart. George includes suit sets that look ok for sure, and I would hazard that Mr Johns (a very good tailor in oklahoma city) would be willing to fit them.

I'm looking at the potential, though, of a residency interview, and so I'm reconsidering the use of my now older and regrettably worn suit, the tailoring for which may no longer be up to date. I'm tempted to drop the cash for a brooks brothers suit, but with no outlet carrying them in OKC I would have to order from them directly, and get measurements for the suit in advance and 'hope' that it fits right, or I guess just order the suit and send it to a tailor, I would trust Mr Johns with it I suppose.

Perhaps the reason for my uncertainty is that I see fashion faux pas all over the place here in medical school which go unaddressed, and I fear that the age of attention to detail in these matters has passed me by, while I still find myself fastidious in my preparation for formal situations. Is this the case? I have no idea.

Perhaps, have any of you heard from credible sources anything to either effect? Or from your own experiences?
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

1-tailoring is all when it comes to suits, and suits are really the exception to the rules regarding having a nice body. they somehow manage, when well tailored, to make decrepit, fat, baldy, mutated old men look good. Anyone less warped by life's vicissitudes does even better in a suit.

2-attention to formal fashion is really only a part of high society these days, and even those that attempt to maintain quality and look formal are allowed more room to decide what they wear, except for small communities of rich people (like WASPs) who generally adhere more closely to a set standard of dress.

it seems like these days, especially in situations where formal attire isn't a prereq, the person that actually is well groomed and wears more formal attire is at an advantage, since the bar has been set lower (the exception to this is social arena's where formal = bad, but even then the effect isn't nearly as bad as being informal in the reverse situation). the professional world still maintains a certain level of formality, but even it has gone down significantly since the late 80's.

3-really, a good suit will get you all that you should need for interviews, and it doesn't have to be brooks bros, unless you are a snob that wants to waste money (i have seen, during good sales, suits as low as $200 that look good actually). they aren't looking at the brand most likely; much more probable is that they look at how well put together you are, whether it fits, how much attention to detail you pay, etc. Jobs want attentive, professional people that care even about the small shit. and they like fit, good looking people; well tailored suits approximate this, without all the work of actually being fit or looking good (though there are limits to "suit magic").

rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

the universe is run by fuckups and retards. You just posted proof.

However, if the monkey were wearing a fashionable suit, he would have looked great! And the comparison to obama would go beyond any shred of deniability.

But a monkey in a suit might not get shot in the first place...right?

wrong.

dunno.

fashion thread...already....dying...where's haley?
angelicyokai
Lost Knight

Post by angelicyokai »

I had to go to every major news media site i know of just to confirm that, yes the world sucks this much, and yes this wasn't a joke. :( suicide just seems like a better and better alternative of late.
[CENTER]ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/CENTER]

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”
― Marcus Aurelius
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

i really meant to post that in the cat soup thread. i purchased wine last night, and drunk posted in the wrong thread. or the equivalent for me anyway.

but it is strangely appropriate here anyway.

and, in reference to no one else posting on fashion... i rest my case. no one cares anymore. too much effort.

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

rydi wrote:and, in reference to no one else posting on fashion... i rest my case. no one cares anymore. too much effort.
I assert that many of us never cared in the first place, making it impossible for us to care anymore.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

you know what i meant. i was referring to society.

Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

I care