rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

what exactly got updated?
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Lots of stuff on the unblockable/undodgeable applicibility trumping and perfect effects. It turns out some kinds of effects can be outside the scope of a perfect effect to avoid.

A few charms had minor questions answered, some of them weren't even worthy of errata in my opinion. The errata as a whole are worth a once-over, at least for books you consider to be at all relevant. Most of the linked pages are exceptionally short. The vast majority of the errata is associated with the core book.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

i looked at the question list. it is long. and mostly unanswered. why?

and yeah, i've looked at it before. they need to have a section where they show you new stuff only.

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

You can use the history tab at the top to show you the most recent differences between the last version of the page and the current one.

They're mostly unanswered because it takes developers a long time to answer questions like this when they're trying to work on new books. Errata is not profitable, that's just business. Also a lot of the questions are completely retarded, though there are several pressing and important ones I wish they'd concentrate on answering first (Lunar Healing, Void Avatar Prana and the like).

The vast majority of the questions listed there are either minor quibbles that should be obvious to anyone employing common sense: "Can my perfect dodge protect me from social attacks?" Fuck no, grow a brain!

In reading over the WW forum's thread for Exalted errata discussion, I've come to a new understanding of perfect defenses and the differences between them. Applicibility trumping is a Big Fucking Deal and is the main cause for a great deal of the perfect defense questions and discussion.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

and, in short, what is the final word on perfect defenses? from boards/errata? what are the differences between them?

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

I'd need my rulebook to do a complete breakdown, but it works something like this.

There are two game effects to consider:
1) A perfect defense - ie: that if an attack can be dodged, parried, or soak, this charm accomplishes that perfectly.
2) An applicibility trumping defense - IE: if an attack cannot be dodged, this charm makes it dodgable, if an attack cannot be blocked, this charm makes it parryable, if an attack cannot be soaked, this charm makes it soakable. (note: applicibility trumping is not, in itself, a perfect defense. You could conceavibly create a non-perfect charm that provides applicibility trumping without a perfect defense effect. ie: I dodge the undodge-able, but only to the limits of my dodging ability. In many cases this makes little or no sense, but it is still mechanically possible)

The Solar perfects are both, I don't have the text on the others in order to say.

Total Annihilation is being thrown around a lot as an example right now because the text of the spell states that the blast it creates cannot be blocked and can only be perfectly dodged or soaked. The consesus on the forum seems to be that, in specific, Heavenly Guardian Defense can still perfectly parry this blast, because it explicitly allows you to parry even unblockable attacks. That said, since the effect is coming from all around you, its a wise plan to move the hell out of the way so you don't have to throw your perfect defense out every round, as the effect can potentially be ongoing for quite some time. Note that even though it can be perfectly dodged, none of the perfect dodges have a movement component, so you stand in one place and, I dunno, Matrix-dodge it or something unless you're also using something to move the heck out of there.

Developer comments indicate that they don't think it makes sense to be able to parry something like Total Annihilation and other large AOE attacks by interposing a weapon between you and it as the effect will likely just go around the weapon. I, however, feel this is total in-theme for Exalted and relish the idea of someone shooting a giant wave of energy at an Exalt, who then struggles with it briefly before deflecting it up and around him, possibly causing massive collateral damage in the process.
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

The most delicious way to conquer Creation:

With Muffins!
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

[urlhttp://forums.white-wolf.com/viewtopic.php?t=76127]List of named Primordials/Yozis/Neverborn[/url]

Mostly for my own reference.
Last edited by Avilister on Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

An example of a limit-break type action in Dr. Who: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDn1PLzQvGo
Thael
Lost Knight

Post by Thael »

was catching up on some reading...

That which is not dead can eternal lie and with strange eons even death may die
My Color is Blue
I value Knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

From the Exalted official Errata:

Charms Increasing DV Directly
Question: A large number of Charms say that they add to "DV." Do all of these Charms actually add directly to the DV, or to the pool used to calculate DV? Many Charms seem written as if they should increase the DV directly, even though the core rules say that Charms that "increase DV" should be considered to increase the pool.

Answer: These do increase the DV directly, yes. The reason it mentions the pool is in case the character is utilizing a Combo in which a Charm that directly increases DV is used alongside, say, an Excellency. So, for this purpose, a Charm that adds +3 to your Dodge DV is effectively adding six dice to your (Dexterity + Dodge) pool for the purpose of deriving DV. Because you can only double any pool with such effect, if you had a (Dexterity + Dodge) of 10, you could only add the equivalent of four more dice (or another effect with +2 DC) to the example above.

---------

Emphasis mine. This severely limits the effectiveness of some charms that we're quite fond of, notably Flickering Flame Stance.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

true, but only a bit really, as seldom is it necessary to increase beyond 4 dv. sometimes, but not often.

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

It sort of depends upon interpretation. If +DV charms count as dice-adders for the purpose of charm limitations, this would mean that the largest +DV you could get from these charms would be +5 (for Solars, Abyssals, and high-Essence Furying Lunars). This would mean that no combination of +DV adding charms and other Dice adders (such as excellencies) could ever add more than +5 DV.

I'd need the charm text in front of me, but I believe flickering flame allows you to add without limit (unless there's an implicit limit based on normal dice-adding limits).
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

That is a good reason to have more than 1 excellency.
psn: aretepolitic
Steam: aretepolitic
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

No, it isn't. Limits on dice adding from charms apply per dice-action, not per-charm.

Example. I'm a social monster. I've got Charisma 5 and Presence 5. I'm a Solar (for ease of use). I have all Presence charms (including all of the Excellencies).

I want to make a Presence-based dice action. I decide to ignore all my fancy charms and just be the overbearingly strong-armed Presence that I am. I have the following options:

1st Excellency: Add up to 10 dice at the cost of 10 motes.
2nd Excellency: Add up to 5 successes at the cost of 10 motes (each success counts as two dice).
3rd Exellency: Opt to re-roll the roll with no extra dice/successes (3rd Ex is mutually exclusive with the 1st and 2nd. Free reflexive House Rules do not over-ride this).

Or some combination of the 1st and 2nd Exellencies. I could add 3 successes for 6 motes and then 4 dice with 4 motes or something similar. But I cannot exceed a total of 10 dice-equivlant bonuses via charms (of any kind, not just excellencies). Since I'm a Solar with a maximum dice-pool for my Essence (5 or less)

Edit:

In thinking about it, this also pretty heavily limits charms such as Blade of the Battle Maiden, since dice-adding is still limited by your Exaltation type and can't be expanded by something like Martial Arts.

Edit, edit:

When I say 'heavily limits' what I really mean is 'Finally balances' Even with a limit based on your Exaltation-type, BotBM is fucking awesome (given that it is scene long, reflexive, and badass)