In remembrance of all the joy, and misery, of past games. Leave your offerings here.
Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

OK *continues to read the paper and eat cereal*
Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

I have a name...hehehe

Mighty Moonsilver Serpent of the Forsaken Woods

Anyone have any ideas for a familiar name for that? I was thinking Moonsilver Serpent, but don't really know.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

so... that's really more of a title. a thing for enemies and people that don't know you to call you. I'll still be calling you merl until you come up w/something shorter. or perhaps Shazam!
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Amseriah wrote:I have a name...hehehe

Mighty Moonsilver Serpent of the Forsaken Woods

Anyone have any ideas for a familiar name for that? I was thinking Moonsilver Serpent, but don't really know.
Titles are pretty common in the setting, and the sort of thing that many hero-types will affect. He could be Merl, the Mighty Moonsilver Serpent of the Forsaken Woods
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

necro sucks goat penis.

Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

Is it really that bad???? Is sorcery just as bad? Not that I would ever get it for my character...
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

going to read sorcery tonight when i get home.

necro manipulates spirits and makes dead stuff. 80 spells and 2 circles later, it still does that, just bigger. sort of bigger. lameness. where are all the damage spells from entropic energy? all the infusing yourself with nero power? etc? i saw like 5 spells that did anything even mildly interesting.

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

I'm fond of Sorcery myself, particularly Solar Circle. The lower two circles still have some useful stuff (though admitedly, Lunar's can't use some of it because of their immunity to physical shaping effects).

Thael, check out Wood Dragon's Claws if you're looking at MA+Sorcery. Other neat Terrestrial spells include Summon Demon/Elemental, Invulnerable Skin of Bronze, Countermagic, Cirrus Skiff, Coin of Distant Vision, Conjuring the Azure Chariot, Flight of Seperation, Flying Guillotine, Gates of Eventide, Peacock Shadow Eyes, Sunmoning the Lesser Minions of the Eyeless Face, Unbreakable Bones of Stone and many others.

The strength of spellcasting in this game really isn't in its combat application (with a very few select exceptions), and more in its ability to create effects that are not available via Charms. There are a few spells that can buff people for combat, and a very few damaging spells that are actually worth using against people in actual combat. The spells that catch my eye though are spells that allow you to travel faster (Conjuring the Azure Chariot), summon minions for yourself for either protection or labor (Summon Demon/Elemental/Minions of the Eyeless face), or create effects that are uncommon, or unavailable, via charms, like the Coin of Distant Vision or the Gates of Eventide.

He's right, to a degree, about Necromancy. It is highly focused on ghosts and the dead. It has a few offensive abilities, and a very small number of utility spells, but the majority of it is based around conjuring, raising, or controlling the dead. ghosts, and powerful ghost-type creatures in the Underworld. That said, third circle Necromancy has some pretty awesome effects. Particularly Forsaken Life Engine, Blood Monsoon, Abyssal Aegis and The Barless Gate (mirror-based teleportation anywhere? awesome). Ghost servators may be useful, depending on what you want them for. Without necromancy, they'll not really come into play, though.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

i can't really use some of the stuff in void circle in good conscience w/my character. i did like blood monsoon and the teleport, but i felt that 24+spell cost points was alot to get there. maybe once i've spent my 550 pts on other stuff i'll buy some necro.

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

I'll note that purchasing each sorcery charm comes with a spell of that circle (otherwise it is retarded).
Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

So I was looking at the book of the Wyld and saw a couple very interesting mutations that I am thinking about...Stone body, dragon's breath, and giant or huge (I bought large 2x so I effectively have huge)...with stone body it would suck to lose the point of dex but the additional soak....holy shit. With Dragon's breath...I do a Dex + (archery, athletics or thrown) roll to deal a base damage of (Stam + Essence)L to everyone within 10 yrds???? As a Tyrant Lizard????? Ummmmmm.....where do I sign up???? Hell I don't need scales...I can just be freaking huge and stoney or huge and have a breath attack (granted that can only be used 1/10 actions but still). I have yet to delve into the martial arts book but since I have MA of 5 I probably should...hopefully I can find something other than charms....so many charms....
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

GODZILLA!

The MA book is almost entirely charms.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

a lot of the martial arts charms are underpowered comparatively. u have to really find a good path that suits ur specific build.

would u like to learn dark messiah style? it is fairly good. I can teach u... all I want are dex charms. and ox body. go go 20 health lvls

Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

LOL I need OX body myself..and Dex charms...although I did think of something sick with the Dragon's breath thing....dmg is based off of Stam+Essence and I have Stam Excellency....go go scaling damage!!!
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Yep, and that works, too