rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

corn.
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

say avilister, I was talking to my brother who games a lot in forums, and he says that one of the PHP codes allows you to build in a die rolling utility, such that you would indicate while making your post what dice you are rolling and it posts your results with your reply. If you know of anything like that it could really make gaming on the boards more simple.

also, to everyone, I propose that we come up with a standardized method of actually playing on the boards, and have it readily available in its own thread. Obviously dice will be different in each system, but the general idea is about the same. I'll start a thread in general to discuss techniques of running a game. I'll see if I can regurgitate how we did OKCN and how Reclamation was going to work. I've had new ideas since then. It hurt.
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Seeing as how PHP is, more or less, a full blown programming language for most intents and purposes, yes, it can have dice rollers. However, I've never studied web programming to any notable degree, or PHP to any degree at all. In theory I am able to build such a die-roller, in practice, I'd need to read a big thick book on PHP first, and then fail miserably for about two weeks before I got one that worked.

But, lo! there was still hope! Someone else has already done all the work. I present http://invisiblecastle.com/ This site's dice rolling syntax is remarkably robust and is able to support most gaming needs. Though there is a little bit of a learning curve with learning said syntax, it is really pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

For example, say you're playing nWoD and you've got a Yar+Fight combat dice pool of 7. You only get the 10-again rule for your attack, so you'd type in 7d10.hitsopen(8, 10) This says "Roll 7d10, count how many come up 8 or more, and re-roll anything 10 or higher"

Lets say you're a Nossie trying to woo a pretty girl. Your clan flaw says no 10-again rule. The downside here is that you also subtract a success for each 1 you roll, which this roller does not support. Say your Mojo+Hutzpah dice pool is 5. You type in 5d10.hits(8) and then check the results and subtract a 'hit' for each one you roll.

Other advantages of Invisible Castle is the ability to authenticate rolls via their URL, and the ability to tie multiple people's rolls together under one 'campaign' and also by character. This enables easy sorting and lookup of rolls.

Edit: For more entertaining examples.
Last edited by Avilister on Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

Yeah, we used invisible castle before. It's not overly clunky or anything, but even their lookup for character names is easily exploitable, and though I don't think anyone that we game with on the boards is GOING to cheat, it would be nice to have it streamlined a little more. I figured PHP would be sorta 'plug and play', is that the case? there may be code for a die roller out there somewhere.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

if we use invisible castle, you should be in charge of giving a list of formulas used in the system avilister.

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Out of curiosity I've turned on stat collection for web access to the site. I'm curious to see how often it is getting hit and to see roughly how much people are accessing it. Judging from the bandwidth usage, which is already being collected, we're using only a tiny fraction of what is available, so the wiki mentioned in another thread shouldn't be an issue.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

yeah!