In remembrance of all the joy, and misery, of past games. Leave your offerings here.
Thael
Lost Knight

Post by Thael »

well I did have some luck in translation since as a lich I have matter and matter is what mimics the conjuration-thaum path... Think you may be able to lower your forces down to 2 or 3 and just manipulate existing flame to save points for something else that was reduced/lost... and counter-thaum (ie Prime Shielding) only works on spells not supernatural talents from vamps/weres/faeries/etc so other than accessing it at 2 you should likely not worry about it... Presense/Dom do require mind (cheyne made me drop prime to take it since I had it as a vamp :cry: ) but I have it at 2 which lets me do most of what I did before if not as well (although my dice rolls at the end there were horrible despite my dice pool)... on skills I made do for the most part with starting dots but I did not spend much on them as a vamp either, thaum is REALLY expensive much less Necro... while you cant boost stats like a vamp for combat that just means more focused design (ie 1 combat style brawl/weapons/firearms) and having stats support that... the rotes are indeed expensive but since you will likely have a high gnosis then I would bypass any death/matter rotes since the only benefit you get is paradox dice reduction but alot of those are covert so that is up to 3 castings (depending on effect visibility) paradox free (4 if you have the rote)... I am focusing on doing rotes only for vulgar/repetitive spells or spells from other arcanum to make the cost more efficient...

I think the histories that characters write for the new incarnations will be what is remembered... if it mimics the existing history then it barely changes... but if it is different in some significant way then the new one will take precedence... in your case I don't think you will have been Prince of the Camarilla but you might have an important position (advisor/liason) to the court and or some factions, plus you may have some significance amoung mages (by keeping your nature hidden since I know you know how)... these would parallel your history from before since you cannot duplicate it... that is an example... another would be me.. I never left active duty on the police force, I work with both SWAT and Homicide and my office is in the SWAT armory... this parallels in that as a vamp I was a former Homicide LT and worked with them as a PI after being turned and I had my havens in various police HQs throughout the city... The person who turned me is also a mage lich (the fate of all the tremere clan who still exist) and while I became enlightened without her I became a lich because of her deceptions (as before when she turned me through deception)...
That which is not dead can eternal lie and with strange eons even death may die
My Color is Blue
I value Knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
Thael
Lost Knight

Post by Thael »

someone should move the last 3 posts to the proper thread.. I know one is mine but only realized it after submitting post...

to cheyne... as I have made clear before play acting is not my forte or interest... I will present a character and follow its designed motives and some personality quirks in the interest of chasing down some goal but I do not relish hours of conversation that would duplicate real life as someone else... what fun is there in discussing the pros and cons of wood vs stone in bridge building as joe schmoe the magnificent wizard extrodinare with his travel companion jane doe razorwind the elvish champion assasin?? I understand you do find a point and that is fine, but I would rather do something more enjoyable...
My Color is Blue
I value Knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

Paul: read thael's post for answers. also, u could just drop something. mind is important, forces not as much, especially if u have another attack mode. life might actually be more important (blood thaum) and could be taken at lower lvl (2ish). as far as skills and pools go... again, dice pools are not the same thing as they were. lower pools does not mean less effective, as success scaling no longer occurs. further, academics w/ specialty-law is a 4. and some skills are condensed or became merits.

thael: I understand it isn't for everyone, but talking is still important part of storytelling. those conversations get u from point a to point b in the story, and provide more unpredicable (read as less boring) alternatives to dice rolling and combat. in most systems, if characters are made right, combat results are pretty much a given for an experienced gamer, making it far less entertaing than a movie/book (also the reason I'm having chris roll for me in da).
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

Thael
Lost Knight

Post by Thael »

well conversation for the sake of progressing the story is one thing since it is a practical use and is more entertaining than just narrative blahed at you and some dice rolls.. what I am not interested in is the "downtime" conversations that have no focus/purpose other than staying in character that end up being those pointless discussions about bridge building when there is no bridge to build... I don't mind the discussions about planning, decision making, etc but dont expect me to respond well when told "your group is in a bar waiting for X the NPC to arrive... talk amoungst yourselves in character"... ie shoot the breeze in character... no thanks
My Color is Blue
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

those conversations actually do create plot however, and explain important things like character relationships, and add depth to otherwise 1-d or 2-d plots. Such things can be "built in" to the character at creation, but tend to be much more hollow that way, and many interesting plots come from just "shooting the breeze" that would not occur without them.

basically, such conversation can prevent the plot from being repititious/simple/1-d by introducing an organic feel, introducing new and unthought of options, and preventing formulaic transitions (ex:boy driven from home, boy meets teacher, boy tested by hardship, boy becomes man, man fights enemy, man goes home. the conversation is actually very important, as it adds depth and diferentiates storyline. Star wars, a mostly action film, even has such conversation, and it is arguably the only thing, aside from setting, that differentiates it from a 1000 other similar stories).

Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

Thanks for providing me with perspective guys. I was just feeling a little overwhelmed when I was trying to emulate my character as it was.

Cheyne: would it be possible for us to start playing online? I know that you are not going to be ready to run a live game until June but I would like to start getting into character and such.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

a little would be ok. my main focus should be gettin city done though. though i may pawn off a few npcs and such to people, once i get the format done.

Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

Ok, that would be happy...June is almost here anyways
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

I may bring this back.

roll call for anyone that still cares:
me

anyone else?

Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

me
durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

Too much to learn to not wanna give it a try. Shit. I could have earned an AA from the University of Phoenix, sittin here at my damn computer all those hours. Instead, I somewhat learned the system of this game. Sort of. I wasted my life...
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

actually, when you think about it, you're ahead of the game.

married/divorced
kids
bachelor's
master's
many and varied games
many and varied books/comics/movies/etc

compare to the rest of the world, or even the country, your age. you've done more, and accomplished more, than most. and you have done it earlier. all you need now is to become a homeowner, get a career you actually like, and become a widower, and you will be set.

Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

Don't forget, be involved in some taudry affair, and die
Thael
Lost Knight

Post by Thael »

I am up for continuing..
My Color is Blue
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

I POSTED STUFFS

POST BACK YOU BASTARDS

I FLUSH YOU ALL OUT AN AIRLOCK