No votes
D6
17%

Total votes: 6

rydi
Site Admin

Vote on the system for Weird West game

Post by rydi »

so. it will be a gritty feel. and it will be light on the pc's supernatural abilities, at least to start. and the supernatural abilities will be divided into psi/magic.

vote. also, note if you are playing. if it is just chris and thael i will be sad. but i will be happy to run only two. it would give an interesting dynamic.
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

If it is just me and Thael, then screw it. We can do d4. Otherwise, I think GURPS might be fun.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

oooh... d4...

arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

Why not use Deadlands? :mrgreen:
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

the smiley indicates you already know the answer to that...

arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

I do, but DeadLands really isnt as bad as it could be.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

that is a wonderful statement that describes deadlands very well: not as bad as it could be. perfect.

Thael
Lost Knight

Post by Thael »

2 questions
1 what is the d4 system

2 how is the d6 system different than Gurps (is it the same as the star wars d6?)
That which is not dead can eternal lie and with strange eons even death may die
My Color is Blue
I value Knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

d6 is functionaly very similar to the old WEG star wars, and is in fact by the same company.

d4 functions off of an interaction between attributes and skills. it has powers and special stuff that can be attached in modular fashion, much as gurps does, but the powers themselves work more like the dot based systems such as new wod has. you likely won't need most of the powers/cyber attachments however, which is good, since i don't have them totally done yet.

the dice system is very simple, yet robust. you add an Att, half of a second Att, and then roll d4's equal to your skill in whatever you are rolling. atts are based on a 1 to 5 scale, though they can go higher for weird stuff and in certain genres. this system creates an environment in which attributes matter a great deal when utilizing low level skills, and where talent is very influential, but in which skill matters a great deal as one progresses. by the time a character reaches professional proficiency in a skill they are, on average, taking more from skill than talent, and from there it increasingly becomes more dependant on skill.

The system has... a few more attributes than normal (12-16, depending on which version of the system i use), but that isn't a bad thing. and calculations are very simple. how many angels can dance on the point of a d4?

The main thing i need to work out for the system is getting the point buy set up, and a comprehensive skill list. oh, i also have a magic system already mostly in place. plums.

Thael
Lost Knight

Post by Thael »

I had forgotten they did do a generic version.. never played it though because we decided on Gurps and then the game fell through before the first session... it is how I learned that it was real easy to have a mage that could do fireballs all day for free...

in all honesty any of them would be fine but I am tired of the xWoD system... would like to see just about anything else but not because it is a bad system but for variety..

I am likely going to either get a pdf copy (only 12 bucks at PEG) or borrow jason's so I can get an idea of the abilities I would want so they can be mimicked... things like phantom ammo so you don't run out, speed loading, slight dmg and accuracy increases... I hope whatever system allows for "fannin" on a single action, beats out dual guns anyday...
how many angels can dance on the point of a d4?
where have I heard that before??
My Color is Blue
I value Knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

how many angel on the head of pin.

Thael
Lost Knight

Post by Thael »

but I could have sworn someone used the "d4" portion before...
My Color is Blue
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

dunno. comment on the important part of the post, not the trivial, ie what you think of system from description.

durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

I could learn a new system - Cheyne's d4. We could construct our own classes and all that good stuff. Could be fun, I guess. If it doesn't work, we'll just blame Harness.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

i already do in fact.