Generally general.

Moderator: Mods

Avilister
The Mitten King

Dicenomicon

Post by Avilister »

After having obtained this program and played around with it a bit, I have reached the following conclusino:
Dicenomic's integrated dice rolling formulas do not accurately calculate successes for Exalted.

I am attempting to use its interface to generate a formula that does it correctly. However, until then, I will be requiring the use of actual dice in my game in order to promote accuracy.

Note that this actually in your favor. Its integrated formulas calculate against player favor.
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

How so? I currently have it rolling xd10 counting 10s as 2 successes. What seems to be the issue?

Edit: I use the following formula 10 d10 XX vs1. The XX tells the program to count successes as dice over 7 and 10s as 2 successes.
Last edited by arete on Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psn: aretepolitic
Steam: aretepolitic
adam
Lost Knight

Post by adam »

If you put vs1 at the end of the formula it will correctly function. If not it will subtract 1s from the number of successes.

Dicenomicon 2.0 preview
Out there somewhere there is a Tarrasque eating delicious epic corn waiting to start a journey...
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

The correct formula for combat is as follows:

Code: Select all

if #1 dXX7 vs 1 > #2 then
$1XX7 vs 1 - #2
else
"Miss"
end
I will explain

#1 and #2 are both parameters. When creating this formula, double tap the #1. This will bring up another screen that will prompt you for some stuff. Label this one "No of dice" with a default of 1 and leave the Style alone (it should default to >=0). Do the same for #2, but label it "DV".

Here's what the formula does.

"dXX7" is the program's shorthand way of saying "Roll d10s and then compare to target number 7. Count how many are good. Count maximum rolls (10 by default) as +2 instead of +1. Also, subtract any 1's from this total."

The last part, where it subtracts 1s is not how 2nd Ed rolls dice. 1s don't count against you until you don't have any successes. The "vs" modifier makes the formula not count these against you, so long as at least one dice comes up a success. By setting it at "vs 1" we ensure that it never generates an incorrect botch.

We thus roll #1 (your dicepool) d10, and count successes correctly. This is then compared to #2 (the DV). If it is less than the DV, you miss and it prints "Miss". If it is greater than the DV you take %1 (the roll) and then modify it again by dXX7 and vs 1 to correctly calculate the successes, and then subtract the DV. This then prints out how many 'extra' successes you get on the roll, and thus how many extra damage dice you roll. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to set these modifiers up as a variable. Oh well.
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Usefully, this formula can be altered for virtually anything, applying DV as a difficulty, though it won't correctly differentiate between a failure and a botch anymore. Botches are neigh impossible to achieve as a player in Exalted anyway though, so that hardly matters.
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

So how does the program not calculate successes correctly? Not vs DV
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

The default dXX7 subtracts 1's, which is incorrect. dXX7 vs 1 is more correct. I wish it'd let you nest expressions, because #1dXX7 vs 1 vs #2 would be the most ideal solution (where #2 is the difficulty). It won't let me vs a vs though.
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

But dxx7vs1 does correctly calculate results per the exalted rules.
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

For standard difficulty rolls, yes. It doesn't for combat or for increased difficulty rolls.
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

But all I want are the succeses rolled.
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

A slightly updated code that also takes automatic successes into account (for 2nd Excellency goodness):

Code: Select all

if #1 dXX7 vs 1 + #2 > #3 then 
$1XX7 vs 1 + #2 - #3
else 
"Miss" 
end
In this case #3 is defined as the DV, #2 is now 'Automatic Success' and should default to 0.
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

I keep having trouble getting a simliar setup for wod. I got #1*tn8vs1 to open roll any number of dice and count success on rerolls. The only issue is it cancels out a success if it rolls a 1 after rerolling a 10. Any suggestions?