In remembrance of all the joy, and misery, of past games. Leave your offerings here.
Thael
Lost Knight

Post by Thael »

I was merely trying to drum up interest in people going to one of the GameDay events so we could try out the system... no need to buy books, no need to play GM, everyone would be a PC... something to do
That which is not dead can eternal lie and with strange eons even death may die
My Color is Blue
I value Knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

I might be interested in something at battlefeilds. My books should be here on release day. I was stupid and ordered them though my local store :(
Thael
Lost Knight

Post by Thael »

nothing stupid about that... costs more but keeps them getting money

battlefields is close enough and they are listed as having events as well so I would not mind going there... should be able to get in and out before summer game starts... hate to miss my chance to steal some souls and give stupid crazy defense buffs
My Color is Blue
I value Knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

So over reading some about 4th ed, it looks a lot like that board game I think it was called HeroQuest or something like that. Basically you have a couple of different ways to pick stats, rolling is the least preferred method and you can't use rolling method if you are playing in a RPGA sanctioned event. Then you pick a race, pick a class then you follow almost a preset path to a paragon class, then you move on to your epic class...you have to read it, everything about it reminds me of that game. It's not a bad thing though...it eliminates the headaches associated with D&D 3.5: the Multi-classing. OH and the best part, NO MORE 16 LVLS OF SUCK!!!!!
Paul Gilmore
Lost Knight

The new game

Post by Paul Gilmore »

It has been simplified, but a simplified game allows you to focus more on the story then your character's multiclassing badass prebuild.

I'm a big fan of the new system, the daily use powers are a great idea... ALMOST as good as a mana based system, but still lightyears better then the old memorised slots system.

After that last expirence in the 2 year d&d game i swore i would never play in 3.5 again with every character having 9 different classes from 6 different books making no sense at all, and devoid of any story supporting these characters choices other then to just be more badass and achieve the highest paper number in the group on a stat.

A simplified streamlined system that is the strucutre used to tell a great story is what i want in a D&D game.
Thael
Lost Knight

Post by Thael »

well it is "streamlined" more than "simplified".... the information is not buried in fluff it is presented in clearly marked stat blocks the same way for each type (race, class, powers, items, etc)...

my big beef is magic items and to a lesser degree the multi-classing (or its lack)...

magic items are good if they are a weapon, implement (a weapon for spell casting effectively), armor, or the neck slot which is a secondary armor slot and wonderous items... these are all good things... the bad is the helms, bracer/gloves, boots, and belts... these rarely have any abilitly/effect aside from a daily power which normally would be okay... but you as a character can only use 1-3 magic item daily powers a day... so you have 4 slots there that even in epic are sharing a pool of uses less than their number... there are ways to get more item use powers per day but mostly you will have items that you wear that give no benefit at all... I think it demeans the items far more than should have been with their philosophy of character importance... a +1 sword is still an awesome find for half the game but I think most of these minimal items will get sold/broken down instead of used... rings are in the middle in that they have daily powers but also have triggers based on milestones (achievement of multiple combats with no resting) so they get better later in the game day ususally... healing potions however (except for the raise dead potion) are crappy... they let you use your built in healing to heal yourself with a potential bonus (but not for long for some classes)...

multiclassing is okay as long as you don't try to "dual-class"... you can dabble and get a few powers from another class to spice up your own... but for the sate of peak don't take a base class as a paragon, you lose way too much and gain so little... you give away a large chunk of your gained class abilities to take some from your other class and essentially become dual-classed (since you can only do it once)... it blows... but sampling a 2nd class is kinda cool...
My Color is Blue
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

first off, this is not dd, and i really don't feel that i can judge it from that perspective. it is a new game based off many of the same concepts as the slew of other fantasy rpg's out there, and shouldn't be judged off of the continuance or adherance to ideas of the old games. rather, it should be compared system wise for functionality and usefulness in what it does.

and as far as that goes, i'm torn. and until i read more i won't have a final answer.

i think that alot of mmorpg concepts have worked thier way in. this is not necessarily a bad thing, especially if you like such games. however, i don't, an i am leary of many of the concepts involved.

i think that the streamlined nature of the system allows for both better, and worse, storytelling. having focused classes that don't multiclass well lets people play archetypes but doesn't do as well for characters with less defined roles/backgrounds.

the healing changes are lame. i think that the ability to regenerate for every character makes no sense whatsoever. it seems just a mechanics method to resolve the need for healers, which could have been better resolved imo by spreading healing out further into other classes (monk, bard, wizard, cleric, paladin, druid, ranger could all get some type of heal, but varied in efficacy and method) and the spells could do better healing out of combat than in. conceptually, healing surges are a huge turnoff to me.

items, surprisingly, are much the same. while i prefer character over gear, items should be potent and impacting, and from what i'm hearing, i'm not liking their new treatment.

the monster changes i've read about are good, as from what i understand the monsters are much better balanced for level.

the use of to hits on virtually everything is... different. i think it adds control for players, and actually i think that is the core of the new system. more FEELING of control. no minuses in char creation, only bonuses. change the wording to something positive while the math says something else. mind trick. not sure it makes the game better though. again, i want to look further at the rules.

i think that this new game will provide a tool in a gamers arsenal. it will allow players to work in a fantasy system that is created for streamlined, archetypal characters and a structured increase in power. i don't think it serves the needs of all fantasy games however, though niether did 3.5. but i think they did serve very DiffernT needs, and i think that i will keep the old stuff around for those needs.

until i read more, no comment.
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

in other news, I think I'm ready to borrow someones books for review.

need to get to work on story and world building.

thael, u think u could maybe work w/campaign cartographer software so u can transcribe a hand-made map? or pehaps 17 maps? i'll give u starting goodies and a gauranteed slot in the game if u help me make maps, both player and gm versions. and u get secrets!
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

Thael
Lost Knight

Post by Thael »

and here I thought I had a spot for all the stuff I had written... :cry:

but yeah... I can do that...

and remind me wednesday and I will let you borrow mine
My Color is Blue
Thael
Lost Knight

Post by Thael »

My books are finally here!!!

I'm coming to take them away, Ha-ha
I'm coming to take them away, Ho-ho
Hee-hee-haa-haa
To the gaming room
Where life is beautiful all the time
And I'll be happy to see those
Nice young women in bloody leather bikinis and
I'm coming to take them away, ha-ha!

yeah, ok so I cannot parody as well as Weird Al Yankovic, it shows on the next to last line... oh well I still am happy to get my books... :D
My Color is Blue
adam
Lost Knight

Post by adam »

And mine won't be here until next month, damn you Amazon and your overselling.
Thael
Lost Knight

Post by Thael »

when did you order yours??
My Color is Blue
adam
Lost Knight

Post by adam »

March 16th
Thael
Lost Knight

Post by Thael »

I made my order in march as well... that is weird... on the other hand their shipping info was listing my not arriving till tomorrow on their UPS tracker... went to UPS and it was due yesterday which is when it arrived... yay
My Color is Blue
adam
Lost Knight

Post by adam »

They sent me an email last week saying they won't be able to ship it until next month and that I should get it by July 18th. :cry: