Actually just Pathfinder. For discussion of rules, character builds, and anything else non-campaign related.

Moderator: adam

rydi
Site Admin

gid's game

Post by rydi »

Since he hasn't put it up, here is what he has been using:

Books:
Core
Bo9S
Races of...
Completes
Exalted Deeds
UA/Web/Greyhawk Setting/etc. (with approval)

Lvl:

Classes:
All base classes from above books. Prestige classes are allowed, though entry conditions once story/play begins will vary.

Attributes:
18/16/16/14/12

Potential Players (eventually needs to round down to 5):
Me
Jason
Zach
Steven
Adam
Paul

Time:
Saturday evenings until 2:30am
Date:
Through late August
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

all of the above is correct. In addition:

The party *must* contain characters with the following qualities, features, or traits:

"mundane" ability to breach complicated locks with a DC greater than 25. (ie.: no spells, or disable device w/o rogue traits. Read your classes carefully in this regard)

The ability to track people, animals, and beasts over wild terrain and within cities.

Knowledge (planes) at level cap

The ability to heal ones self and ones comrades or allies in battle to the degree of actual hit point totals, as opposed to mere stabilizaiton.

Heal at level cap.

Diplomacy, Bluff, and Intimidate all at level cap (not necessarily on the same character)

It should be noted that in my concepting of scenarios, encounters, and puzzles, I have endeavored to include all skills listed, even some rather unexpected ones, that appear in the players guide.

Look to the in text description of knowledge, craft, and profession skills, particularly knowledge, for essentially a list of knowledges that may or will be relevant to the game, beyond the usual knowledge: nature, arcane, religion, planes, and so on. Heraldry may come up early and often, for example.

Players should be warned that the game will feature certain segments that may or may not deprive characters of certain identity defining class features, the specifics of which I will not disclose. Do go into this game aware of the fact that, regardless of what your character is and what features he has, he *may* come into a segment of the game during which who he is and what his stats and skills are are all that matter or are even accessible.

Final notes:

I anticipate starting play in our usual fashion for the first game session. After the first game session, I expect to invoke a quorum rule, meaning that as soon as the "majority" of players are present after the designated starting time, gameplay will begin.

I do this not to be an asshole or attempt to corral a problem with tardiness, but because I am adapting a story into a time frame, and would like to complete as much actual game as possible, hopefully reaching my pre-ordained stopping place / end. I have a contingency planned for continuing play for one or two more game sessions, but it sucks and isn't ready.

Oh, final final note, I don't necessarily plan on giving you enough monsters of high enough level to ding you more than a few times. However, the game is heavily weighted with story and interaction based xp, and for certain game events, once the players complete them, they will "ding" the next level plus the balance of their xp above current. (so if Joe has 500 xp, and I ding him to 2nd level for graduating from high school, then he now has xp equal to that required for his level plus 500, because he didn't need those 500 to be his previous level. (this allows for keeping it fair in regards to magic item creation.) So, if you're starting at 7th level, earn 8th and a half, and then you outwit god, then I may ding you to 9th, or even 10th, and you'll keep the xp you had over the requirements for 8. Clear? good.

Any questions about character creation should now be directed to me here, or at least repeated here before or after being asked of me in person, for the enrichment of all.
adam
Lost Knight

Re: gid's game

Post by adam »

rydi wrote:Attributes:
18/16/16/14/12
I am only counting 5 stats.
Out there somewhere there is a Tarrasque eating delicious epic corn waiting to start a journey...
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

nar.

one more 14

adam
Lost Knight

Post by adam »

What is the starting gold? Are you allowing the alternate class abilities from the player handbook 2? Is the Spell Compendium available?

Just to put this somewhere, I am making a conjure specialized wizard.
Out there somewhere there is a Tarrasque eating delicious epic corn waiting to start a journey...
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

starting gold is per a 7th lvl character, not sure if he's allowing magic item purchase.

He is allowing the alternate stuff, and he probably would also allow the conjuration specialty stuff in the UA too.

Yay! Casters!

rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

8,665 gold.

Gold can be spent on 1 magic item.

Or you can buy property:
prime realistate: 100gp/sqft
subprime realastate: 10gp/sqft
farmland: 10gp/acre (assumes a house on the first acre)
unworkable land is 5gp/acre
livestock: see players guide

Or you can buy other shit. Whatever.

))))))))))))))))

Gid wants to play this friday.

adam
Lost Knight

Post by adam »

Is there a reason why the properties are so expensive? In the Cityscape book the price of a cheap apartment is 1d4x100gp, an average apartment or cottage is 1d4x1,000gp, and a villa or manor is 2d8x1,000gp.

With the prices listed you could buy a prime real estate that is 86 sqft, the sub prime is 866 sqft, that's the size of a small apartment in today's terms. I want to live in a city, but I wouldn't be able to at these prices.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

That is a good point, and one that I'm sure gid will take into account. Once he's online himself and not using me as his mouthpiece. My guess is that he will probably use those prices once he knows about them.

Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

those prices now that I know about them

once you said it, I remembered them being in cityscape.

BTW, do note where in the books these numbers are, for later reference.
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

of note and to clarify: You have 1 magic item left from your earlier days of adventuring, in addition to whatever adventuring gear, armor, and lands you purchased to live on later.

You should have a brief explanation as to what your adventures were, and what you've been doing since then. If you have a craft or profession skill, it will serve as an explanation, though depending on the craft you may or may not need to have your own storefront.

Magic items are somewhat rare, as casters are less common. Most formal arcane casters work for the king, in the kingdom you start in.

You can of course be a caster, and your race and background will help determine where you learned your trade.

The city of Lux is the capital of the Kingdom of Humboldt, and is a huge, fortified, and is the main seat of power in the region. Consider all real estate within the city limits of Lux to cost 100% more than it would somewhere else. Also, all lands within 2 days travel of the city limits of Lux are already allocated to nobles and lords. There are a number of provinces, the layout of which I can give at the game, the capitals to which are also nice cities, but follow normal costs.

And, I really don't mind if people take all their twinked out level substitutions. Having super high abilities for your level won't hurt you, but not having the skills you need to get through the adventures certainly will. I don't plan on very many situations in which you'll be challenged to win a fight, though there are a few. This is a cinematic campaign, and a TPK would piss me off, as it would require a great deal of fuckery to get past.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

I'm sure no one cares, but I'm doing a rogue/ranger thing I think.

arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

I am going to play a cleric.
psn: aretepolitic
Steam: aretepolitic
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

Style/Alignment?

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

I'm looking -very- hard at elves right now, race-wise.

edit: Does the above mean that we get one magic item for free or that we can only buy one magic item with our 8665 gold?
Also, is there a restriction on special materials? Mithril armor, I'm looking at you.