In remembrance of all the joy, and misery, of past games. Leave your offerings here.
Rusty
Lost Soul

(WoD: Encounter) IC: Nurses station on 6 West @ VA hospital

Post by Rusty »

[US Veterans Center:‎ 505 Polk St San Francisco, CA 94102]

"Dr Johnson, Dr Johnson. Dr Johnson to call the operator, Dr Johnson"

The tired intercom mumbles jaded requests to tired physicians. Harrowed medical staff goes about the "care" of those who were harmed in the service of their country with a seeming despair, tired and worn by years of sub standard service. An aging WWII veteran sits in his wheelchair and sleeps with his head against the wall, and an IV bag hanging from a pole over his shoulder. A med tech pushes a rattling cart loaded with antiquated equipment and second string drugs down the hall to inflict them upon patients that once marched in parades as the pride of their country, but now slowly decay from memory as 'those vets', dependent on a country that has forgotten them.

The unit clerk glares at you expectantly.
durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

:: Dr. Logan Pickelberry rushes past, grabing a stack of patient charts and promptly spilling his coffee on his shirt and a nearby nurse ::

"Damn! What a week. I'm up to my balls in it this week Glenda. Sorry about the mess. Get someone to clean this shit up."

:: Dr Pickleberry heads to the nearest patient room, looking over the list of symptoms. There have been a lot of side-effects from his recent treatments. Patients are reporting more fever, diarrhea, and vomitting blood. He'll have to go back and examine his last batch. He has so little to work with as the VA looks to cut corners where it can. Yet the generals are looking for an answer to this recent sickness in the Gulf. It's something the government is doing to them, he just knows it... ::
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

durden wrote::: Dr. Logan Pickelberry rushes past, grabing a stack of patient charts andpromptly spilling his coffee on his shirt and a nearby nurse ::

"Damn! What a week. I'm up to my balls in it this week Glenda. Sorry about the mess. Get someone to clean this shit up."

:: Dr Pickleberry heads to the nearest patient room, looking over the list of symptoms. There have been a lot of side-effects from his recent treatments. Patients are reporting more fever, diarrhea, and vomitting blood. He'll have to go back and examine his last batch. He has so little to work with as the VA looks to cut corners where it can. Yet the generals are looking for an answer to this recent sickness in the Gulf. It's something the government is doing to them, he just knows it... ::
Sergeant Cutter and his wife have brought their daughter in. Sarn't cutter was one of the first troops to come into the gulf. He was a tank gunner, and was in one of the units that first crossed into Iraq. His tank was disabled by enemy fire, though his whole unit survived. His medical records do not indicate much more about where he was after that, until he met his wife at the Army hospital, where she was a nurse. Eileen, his wife, was inspecific as to how they met and when she got pregnant.

Whatever happened to sgt cutter, he is near comatose now. His 'stroke like symptoms' were progressive over time, and his primary care physician states that it 'seems to be acute onset MS.' He is there, with his wife, but his eyes are vacant and he is wheelchair bound. His daughter is your patient today. She is six weeks old. She has already tripled her birth weight, but her proportions are normal. She has teeth that are very sharp, her mother says. A bandage on one of the mothers breasts makes an obvious shape in her sweater. the complaint is that the child seems to be developing very quickly, and they came to the ER to see if this is normal. The ER physician decided to admit the patient, and do some studies to make sure gigantism isn't the case. now it's your mess.
durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

"Oh my God in heaven!"

:: Upon entering the room, Dr Pickleberry drops his load of folders and falls back. He quickly regains his composure as the wife becomes visible upset and the father drips some drool down his chin. Adjusting his glasses and compulsively biting his thumb nail, the doctor approaches the child from a somewhat ackward sideways step, bent over to see the child more closely, but keeping a good distance ::

"I....ah.....erm, thought this room was empty. I was..ah...surprised to see someone here. So this is the...ah...'little' bundle of joy, huh? Let's take a look at her, uhm, growth. It looks like she's eating healthy...ah..."

*I make rolls and stuff, determining medical things. And stuff*
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

*you determine that the child is medically healthy, insofar as a cursory medical examination could determine. She was born in this hospital six weeks ago, but she looks to be a happy healthy twelve week old. With teeth. the teeth are worrisome. Your "rolls" determine that bloodwork, a karyotype, a dental consult, a whole body MRI, and a consult with an endocrinologist are necessary. This whole case is highly irregular, highly irregular.*

The father seems bothered, for a catatonic zombie. There is something medically wrong with him, but precisely what is anyones guess. He's fiddling with his sleeve. The wife glances at this anxiously, but tries to hide her attention to what her husband is doing from you while you examine her daughter.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

[Jim slowly walks to the reception desk]

"Hey Glenda. How you doin'? Kids alright? Boy still havin' problems with his knee? Huh? Oh, yes, I'm here for my appointment. My side's been killing me.

Have you heard from Janice lately? Been kinda worried about her..."
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

rydi wrote:[Jim slowly walks to the reception desk]

"Hey Glenda. How you doin'? Kids alright? Boy still havin' problems with his knee? Huh? Oh, yes, I'm here for my appointment. My side's been killing me."
*glenda smiles, glad to see that Jim is back and flirts with the idea of a sane day.*

yeah, Jeremy still complains about it but that's normal for a knee replacement at his age. looks like you'll be seeing dr pickleberry again, your usual, but you'll have andrew for your nurse, he's a loaner from county, we're short handed today. You're sharing room 12 with a nice army couple and their daughter, I hope you don't mind, we're doubling up our rooms today on account of overflow.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

"whatever happened to the days when only pretty young women like yourself went into nursing? Ah well, times are always changing. Oh, I don't mind sharing a room. More likely they'll mind sharing with me. Anyway, like I was saying, you heard from Janice lately?"

Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

rydi wrote:"whatever happened to the days when only pretty young women like yourself went into nursing? Ah well, times are always changing. Oh, I don't mind sharing a room. More likely they'll mind sharing with me. Anyway, like I was saying, you heard from Janice lately?"
*glenda blushes and adjusts her beehive hair*

Well aren't you still the hound dog! Janice...Janice didn't show today. No call, anything. We tried her home number and Dr Johnson stopped by her house on the way in. She was supposed to be charge nurse today, she even requested todays shift. Very unlike her to miss a days work for anything, let alone without letting someone know. Hey! You know her better than I do, do you have any idea where she could be off to? Does she have a new beaux?

*she leans in and whispers*

She left her planner here the other night, I looked through it on 'accident', and there was a 'meeting' last night with someone named 'D' at 10pm! To think! a woman of her years meeting men at that hour!
Thael
Lost Knight

Post by Thael »

:: Tavis comes lightly jogging up the hall from the parking lot, slightly out of breath::

"Oi Ben you forgot your jacket."

::Bends over and breathes heavily a few times::

"*whew* I'll hav'ta get the car and bring it to the entrance again when we leave. Had ta park on the ass-end of the lot."

::Winks at the unit clerk::

"Uh, Miss? Is Doc Pikleberry in today? Would like to talk to him about me Mum's medication."
That which is not dead can eternal lie and with strange eons even death may die
My Color is Blue
I value Knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

*glenda disapprovingly glares at tavis*

yes. he's here. he's with a patient right now you'll just have to wait.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

"well, I think its nice she's staying active... If that's what she was doin'. But I worry that somethin' might have happened. Like you said, I never known her to be late, much less not show up. Anyone gone to check on her?"

[Glares disapprovingly at Tavis]

"Get in line buddy. My colon waits for no man! At least I hope that's what it is... I guess it could be my kidneys... Oh hell. What does a sharp pain in your lower right gut mean, Glenda? Eh. What do I care, whole damned body's fallin' apart. Just as long as I get some pills to give me some peace I don't really care what's wrong with me."

Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

rydi wrote:"well, I think its nice she's staying active... If that's what she was doin'. But I worry that somethin' might have happened. Like you said, I never known her to be late, much less not show up. Anyone gone to check on her?"

[Glares disapprovingly at Tavis]

"Get in line buddy. My colon waits for no man! At least I hope that's what it is... I guess it could be my kidneys... Oh hell. What does a sharp pain in your lower right gut mean, Glenda? Eh. What do I care, whole damned body's fallin' apart. Just as long as I get some pills to give me some peace I don't really care what's wrong with me."
"Well, we tried to find her and Dr Johnson went by her house, but he said no one was there. here, take her planner, if you find her just tell her you found it. We're all really worried about her, this just isn't like her!
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

*you recieved DAYPLANNER*

"I sure will Glenda... ugh, you better take care o' that boy, he's lookin' fidgety. I'll just be in the restroom if the doc comes lookin'"

durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

"SONAVABITCH!!" *large crashing sound with metal instruments hitting the floor. Patient Room door flies open and Dr Pickleberry trips his way out of the door clutching his hand*

"Jesus, Mary, and Joseph I....ah...ha....*ahem*"

*Realizing the commotion he has just caused, the doctor attempts to compose himself, brushing his unruley hair back and straightening his glasses*

"I appologize. The uh...child bite my hand. Those teeth. My god those teeth. Oh, hello there gentleman. Did we have an appointment?"